THE INDIAN INSTITUTE OF ARCHITECTS
The Indian Institute of Architects of which the President of the Republic of India is the Patron, was conceived by men with vision and ideals, men who had at heart the welfare of architecture and the profession and who with such a goal helped to lay and build up the foundations of an architectural future fraught with the finest possibilities conceivable. With this principle as its foundation the Institute shall complete 100 years in the service of the profession in the year 2017.
The Institute, which is registered under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860 as a voluntary organization of Architect, has a major role to play in promoting the profession of Architecture by organizing and uniting in fellowship the Architects of India to promote Aesthetic, Scientific and Practical efficiency of the profession both in Practice and in Education. The IIA, which is the only national body of Architects in country, has over 20,000 members countrywide.
The Institute reaches out to the people in the entire length and breadth of the country through its Chapters, Centres & Centers. The Regular publication of Journal (JIIA) and News Letter gives information about various developments in the field of Architecture and Building Industry. The Institute organizes two National Level programmes in a year, viz Young Architects Festival in February-March and the National Convention in December, Besides these national events each Chapter, Center and Center Continue to hold programmes at their individual level or in coordination with others at the regional level. Each Chapter may hold various Seminars, Talks, Exhibitions, Workshops, Panel Discussions, Conventions, etc. at various times in tune with their architect.
The issues faced by the architectural profession are well within the purview and control of the Institute. It is firmly believed that national problems must have national solutions. International cooperation is seen as a logical extension to facilitate the members a wider horizon. The Institute has affiliations to Union International des Architects (UIA), Commonwealth Association of Architects (CAA), Architect Registration Council Asia (ARCASIA) and South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation of Architects (SAARCH).
The Institute honours Architects by awarding –
- IIA Baburao Mhatre Gold Medal (For Life Time Contribution in the field of Architecture)
- IIA Madhav Achwal Gold Medal (For Life Time Contribution in the field of Architectura Education)
- IIA Award for excellence in Architecture are presented every year by the Institute in the various categories.
- IIA Dharmasthala Manjunathesware Award instituted by IIA & Dharmasthala Manjunatheswar carries a Cash Prize and a Certificate.
- Student Awards for architecture students for their performance in various Competitions, Programmes and Schemes initiated by IIA at International, National, Regional, Chapter and Center level.